The biggest project (beside graduating) that I’ve tackled this year was was the revamping of Troy’s Books on the Go book group kits. Of the previous twenty-odd kits, many had gone missing or were no longer circulating. The bags were in disarray, and it was generally an underused collection. When my boss asked me to select some new titles for consideration, it was simply exploratory; I did not expect it to turn out to be such a massive undertaking.
My first steps were to discover what local book clubs, and groups around the country, would be reading the coming year. I gathered my titles and narrowed it down to about 20 items, sending it off to my boss for her perusal. I was surprised when she told me she wasn’t going to make any changes, and even more surprised when I was informed to start ordering them!
Hours of time later, I realized that not all 20 items would be possible to get in an affordable fashion. A decision was made to get things available in paperback only. I made a few substitutions and ended up with 16 titles from the original twenty, with two titles that we would source from copies we already held.
My boss suggested new bags, which I was more than happy to track down, as the small tote bags from past kits were dingy and looking pretty bad. By the end of the day I had sent her a list of options, and within a week or two, we had approval to order them We ended up with these great zipped canvas tote bags that are really going to hold up to a bag of 12 or more books!
The hardest thing about this project was putting everything together. The display needed to be set up with a binder of book summaries and discussion questions, processing needed to happen both in Tech Services, and then more on my end. Barcodes needed to be added to the bags, discussion questions needed to be laminated and added, displays needed setting up. It took at least two shifts for everything to come together. Much to my surprise, 7 of the kits already had holds on them!
For those curious, here is a link to the list of the books/binder cover.
I’m really looking forward to getting feedback on this project from patrons, and I hope these kits will hold up over the next few years.