Summer 2013 Summary and Wrap-up

history display

History Collection Display

I had a rather good summer at TPL. It came to a close with my promotion! While I have been doing the work of a librarian (as my boss has been telling me) I now have the title! And the raise, which is great. I am, however, still looking for another part-time job …or a fulltime one someplace else, as sad as I’d be to leave TPL!

With this new title, I’ve also taken on new collections that I order for. Weeding is on hold right now, due to a lack of staff members. As much as that bums me out, I don’t think I could tackle all my collections on my own right now! Here is the run-down of what I’m now ordering:

· 200s
· 330s-390s
· 790s
· 900s
· Science Fiction and Fantasy
· Mass Market paperbacks
· Trade paperbacks
· EBOOKS!! (via Overdrive)

I am not overwhelmed, yet. The excitement is carrying me through. Also, all of the non-fiction is ordered through the end of October, saving for patron requests that I approve. Ebooks are ordered (roughly) twice a month. Since TPL is a part of the Midwest Collaborative for Library Services package I am only ordering extra titles, requests, and (thanks to a generous eBook budget) a few other titles. Particularly when it comes to teen related material.

I had fun with displays, which always prove enjoyable to me. I had an incredibly popular (and simple) romance display that I could not keep stocked! I also waged a quiet war against the notion that the genre of romance was a silly one. Psh, not on my watch! I also had several less successful displays; one on history and another with music CDs. While CDs remain a hot item at our library, I have a feeling people just weren’t that interested in what I put up there. I forgive them, I have strange taste in music. The history display, well, it should have been amazing. I think if I had done something more eye catching I could have at least gotten more traffic to it. The premade sign just wasn’t that interesting or visually attractive. Anyway, I’ve got a banned books week display on taps next, I hope it will prove to be more interesting to patrons.

I taught my first classes this summer, as a part of a two week “Job Seeking Skills” class.  It was with a class of 16 adult job hunters, who had mid range to beginner computer skills.  The courses covered everything from basic Word skills to writing a resume and cover letter.  I taught specifically on how to job hunt using the internet.  Monster, Indeed, ect, as well as how to create and maintain profiles on company and organization websites.  It was a great experience for me, as I had an outline of what I needed to teach, but was allowed to do so as I pleased!

I am also planning my first adult programming! It’s all set up, save for the marketing. I am having a speaker come in and give a demo on how to make your own chocolate candies at home. I anticipate it being popular, as there will be prizes and you get to taste the candy we make!

Advertisements

2013 Projects – Books on the Go

lame clipart!  it was free

The best of the lame clip art available for the project.

The biggest project (beside graduating) that I’ve tackled this year was was the revamping of Troy’s Books on the Go book group kits.  Of the previous twenty-odd kits, many had gone missing or were no longer circulating.  The bags were in disarray, and it was generally an underused collection.  When my boss asked me to select some new titles for consideration, it was simply exploratory; I did not expect it to turn out to be such a massive undertaking.

My first steps were to discover what local book clubs, and groups around the country, would be reading the coming year.  I gathered my titles and narrowed it down to about 20 items, sending it off to my boss for her perusal.  I was surprised when she told me she wasn’t going to make any changes, and even more surprised when I was informed to start ordering them!

Hours of time later, I realized that not all 20 items would be possible to get in an affordable fashion.  A decision was made to get things available in paperback only.  I made a few substitutions and ended up with 16 titles from the original twenty, with two titles that we would source from copies we already held.

My boss suggested new bags, which I was more than happy to track down, as the small tote bags from past kits were dingy and looking pretty bad.  By the end of the day I had sent her a list of options, and within a week or two, we had approval to order them  We ended up with these great zipped canvas tote bags that are really going to hold up to a bag of 12 or more books!

0508131706a

The hardest thing about this project was putting everything together.  The display needed to be set up with a binder of book summaries and discussion questions, processing needed to happen both in Tech Services, and then more on my end.  Barcodes needed to be added to the bags, discussion questions needed to be laminated and added, displays needed setting up.  It took at least two shifts for everything to come together.  Much to my surprise, 7 of the kits already had holds on them!

For those curious, here is a link to the list of the books/binder cover.

I’m really looking forward to getting feedback on this project from patrons, and I hope these kits will hold up over the next few years.